Friday, January 7, 2011

The Year of The Black Keys

My number two album of the year is The Black Keys’ Brothers. I posted a review on this album earlier this year after its release and I’m still blown away by it. I was fortunate enough to see them for the second time on this tour last month. After the performance I realized I have a few new thoughts about the album and the band since my review, so this will serve as a bit of an update.

I’m a selfish bastard. I can’t help it. When I find something I like I want to keep if for myself. I don’t play nice and I don’t share. From the first time I heard them after Thickfreakness was released in 2003, I was hooked on The Black Keys’ stripped-down drums, guitar and vocals aesthetic. What they were doing wasn’t necessarily anything new; their sound draws from their many blues-roots inspirations (see my previous review for examples). But there was something about their raw energy and irresistible hooks that made them stand out and I’ve been a faithful follower of their career ever since. They were one of those acts (like WEW) that you couldn’t believe didn’t get more recognition. How could a band be that good and no one’s heard of them. That being said, I always liked the fact that I was one of the insiders. I knew of the secret awesomeness that was The Black Keys. Even through their previous album Magic Potion’s release, they continued to put out high quality music yet still fly under the radar despite bringing in one of the hottest producers in the industry at the time. No problem, I thought, more for me.

It’s always bittersweet when that changes, as it did with the release of Brothers. It’s clear that these guys were ready to break out and they hired a phenomenal PR machine to ensure that it would happen. Flash forward to the end of 2010 and their album is on all the top 10 lists for the year (also number 2 in Rolling Stone’s rankings), selling out every show on the tour in minutes and rocking possibly the best (and most radio-played) single of the year, the ridiculously catchy Tighten Up. They were even nominated for 4 Grammys. The down side of this is that now I have to share. I have to share with the fat girl next to me at the show who sits down while they rip through Girl is on My Mind and Stack Shot Billy, but jumps up and screams and jiggles when they slog through Everlasting Light. I have to share with the poor saps who “just have to hear Tighten Up” and are willing to pay 100 bucks for a ticket from the douche bag, scum of the earth scalpers out front (those guys should all burn in hell) who scooped up all the tickets in the presale. And to make matters worse, what I’m having to share is, in many ways, a different band. The reason they slogged through Everlasting Light is because it is not a live song. It’s fantastic on recording and is the perfect opening track for a rock-solid album, but it does not translate well to the stage. Frankly, it’s boring and drags down the energy level. This is an extreme example of the “new stuff.” They opened the show playing the “old stuff,” which consists of Dan and Pat coming out and doing what they’ve always done; playing the pre-Brothers songs as hard as they can, totally in sync with each other and basically of one musical soul until they’re dripping with sweat and ready to drop. Then they bring out their bass guitar and keyboard-playing friends to launch into the “new stuff” with a proper band. Again, I love the new songs and the new sound, but, again, it just isn’t the same live. That connection between the two principles fades a little when the other guys are out there and the show loses a little steam until they boot the new additions off the stage and go old school again.

There, got that off my chest. Now for the bright side of the bittersweet. I couldn’t be happier for this band and all they’ve achieved this year. They’re finally getting the respect and recognition that I thought they deserved all along and things just keep getting better and better. Plus, although they’ve expanded their sound on the new album, they haven’t changed it. At its core, their music is still all about the blues. Further, the band continues to stay real and true beyond their music too. One of the Grammys they’re nominated for is best art direction, thanks to the awesome retro package that Pat’s younger brother, Michael Carney, put together. And in the year when all of Ohio was in an uproar because their patron saint LeBron left for greener pastures, the Black Keys still literally sing the praises of their home state, as heard in the b-side track Ohio.

Tis’ the season for generosity and in the year of the Black Keys I’m finally willing to share….just as long as the band promises to keep sharing too and putting out the same great sounds they always have.

Happy birthday to fellow blogger PD. Hope you had a great day and thanks for letting me ramble on with this list for a week and a half. I'm looking forward to reading yours. Odds are you'll never guess who's on tap for tomorrow. Number one, at long last, is up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment