Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How Swede It Is

God bless those darn Swedes. They've given us catchy indie-pop (see Peter, Bjorn and John) and the heaviest of heavy metal (I don't have a reference here, but I'm sure PD can fill in the blank for me). They've also given us a new generation of folk singers (see Jose Gonzalez and Jens Lekman). Most promising among this new crop is The Tallest Man on Earth and his 2010 release The Wild Hunt comes in at number four on my list.

I was glad to hear that PD had developed a newfound appreciation for Bob Dylan, because I’ve had this one earmarked for the swap for several months now. TMOE was a grower for me. I bought his 2008 album, Shallow Grave, after reading the glowing reviews it was getting, but didn’t give it much play time because I just couldn’t get on board with Kristian Matsson's voice. It was just too abrasive. Two years later the hype machine was churning again and I kept hearing great things about his latest release, so I invested again. Perhaps my tastes have evolved or my ears have matured over those two years, but I can now appreciate the TMOE’s genius. The Dylan comparisons are obvious and there’s no question that this guy drew a lot of inspiration from him, but I don’t think that’s got anything to do with why I’m drawn to his music. I place this album right alongside the rootsy, Americana folk of some of my favorite singers such as Will Whitmore and Bon Iver. Like these two gentlemen, The Tallest Man’s greatest strength is his songwriting. The funny thing is, now when I go back and listen to Shallow Grave, I realize it’s every bit as good as this album and the subsequent EP released this year, Sometimes the Blues is Just a Passing Bird (which technically expands my list to 10.5 albums). Highlights from this one include the hopeful Troubles Will Be Gone, the tender The Drying of the Lawns and the anthemic Kids on the Run wherein he trades in his guitar for rich piano chords.

I fully expect TMOE to appear on top 10 lists for many years to come. He used to play free shows in Portland from time to time on Sunday night at Rontoms. I regret never having gone out to see him. Every few years some artist is bequeathed the title “the next Dylan” and I guess it’s not hard to see why TMOE is one. Labels aside, this man is a singular talent and I anticipate his return to Portland as I won’t miss out next time.

Down to the top three! Bede, Lackthereof and Ramona Falls are bands associated with the three guys up next. Find out tomorrow about the latest release from their much higher profile outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment