Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Midnight at the Movies



Justin Townes Earle's "Midnight At The Movies" I decided to let simmer for a while; always a good thing to do, in my opinion, when listening to something new. It didn't grab me on first listen and based on PD's high praise I knew there was more to appreciate. After tucking it away for a few weeks and then giving it another day in court, I'm starting to hear it. The first thing I thought on those initial few spins is that this guy sounds a lot like a countrified Mason Jennings (not helped by the similar 'I've Been Workin' on the Railroad' sentiment of both Empire Builder and John Henry). The problem I had with that was that much like Mason Jennings' work, I could see the talent and the knack for writing good songs, but I didn't feel like any of them would stick with me for more than a week or two, fairly forgettable stuff. The more I listen, the less similarity I hear and the more I'm realizing there are some really outstanding tracks. The album starts with the title track, a dreamy song that sounds like it was written and performed in those hazy wee-hours with which the subject matter is concerned. I like the lonely story of the aimless singer and the imagery as he describes the darkened movie theater as if it's his home away from home and perhaps a place to escape whatever's waiting for him when he steps out the front door as the closing credits roll. As a big movie and movie theater buff I feel like I've been there a time or two myself.

The second song on the album is possibly my favorite one. It starts out with an old-timey lilting piano and steel guitar melody with the banjo keeping time. JTE's voice starts out sounding exactly like some old singer whose voice I can clearly hear in my head, but whose name I'll probably never know. (Seems like they may have used his voice in commercials at some point if anyone has any idea who I'm talking about and can help.) There's a whistle solo thrown in and some nice harmonizing from the backup singers, but it's the main hook that makes this one of my favorites. That "I need to know right now" of the chorus is what I find myself spontaneously singing even when the song isn't playing. It's a short and simple tune, but something about it sticks with me. As I suspected, I underestimated the staying power of this album on first listen.

I also like the nice slow build of the next short and sweet track "John Henry," as he starts with guitar and layers on fiddle, then banjo, then bass. There's a solid honky tonk vibe to "Poor Fool" and the driving "Halfway to Jackson," with a harmonica line that is reminiscent of one of the greatest titled songs of all time, the Stones' "Turd on the Run." The ballad "Someday I'll Be Forgiven For This" is beautiful and obviously a very personal song, but it's the concluding track "Here We Go Again" that's a knockout. I place it with the likes of "Can I Stay" by Ray or "I Better Be Quiet Now" by Elliott Smith in a category called 'If I could write one song about a girl in my whole life I only wish it could be a fraction as awesome as this one.'

The one place the album goes astray for me is the cover of the Replacements' "Can't Hardly Wait." It doesn't translate to JTE's style well and I find it boring. However, the fact that the one stinker on this album is the cover track, to me, is a good thing. More originals please.

I rate this album one big ol' shiny steel guitar (out of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment