Monday, November 16, 2009

Monsters of Folk

SHANGRI-LA 10-13-09 Yeah, it took me awhile to get to this album, but it was seemingly worth the wait. The initial offering from this independent music supergroup (of sorts) is sharp throughout, filled with spiritual undertones, and is definitely an album that would fit well in the background while you and some friends enjoy a few cold ones by a campfire. My favorite cut is "Temazcal", a hauntingly beautiful Oberst offering which includes the lyric, "The love we made at gunpoint wasn't love at all". "A Man Named Truth" evokes the feel of southern-style folk songs complete with mandolin, baritone guitar, and a quietly driving beat. Jim James aching vocals on "Magic Marker" are reminiscent of Acoustic Cistuoga, but less pained and more philosophic. I wish I would've had the opportunity to catch these guys in Omaha, as I've heard the live performances have been amazing. Here's to hoping they come back around for another lap...




Rating: 3.5 out of 5

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, they came here recently too, but were playing the fancier venue with a steeper ticket price so I skipped it. Haven't heard the album, but I like the component members' stuff. Wouldn't mind this one for the co-op swap if you're considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very intrigued by MOF as well. I love M. Ward, especially his earlier stuff. "Transistor Radio" is brilliant. The album he released this year, "Hold Time", was not what I had hoped but still a solid effort. I love MMJ's "It Still Moves" and "Z", but thought their latest album "Evil Urges" was a dud. And I have never picked up any Bright Eyes stuff. The sum of these parts does sound pretty good. I saw MOF play live on either Conan or Letterman and dug their set. I'd like to review this album for the Co-op swap as well. Kudos Pale.

    ReplyDelete