Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Best of 2011 - ZH Version

Wow, we really let this thing slip this year, didn't we? Nothing like a year-end top ten to get it started again. Personally, I thought 2010 was a banner year for music, but somehow 2011 managed to top it. I really had a hard time narrowing it down this year. It’s been a fun year of highly anticipated follow-ups for many (really, most) of my favorites as well as some debuts that caught me, pleasantly, by surprise.

This year’s list includes five solo artists and five proper bands. I had the fortune of seeing four of the ten perform live and have tickets to see a fifth in the new year. Three I liked so much I purchased them on vinyl. Six begin with either the letter “T” or the letter “W”. Remarkably, two of them were on my list last year and perhaps even more remarkably none are associated with the name Patton or Cave.

The field was so wide open this year that I thought I’d start out with a little honorable mention list. These albums spent a lot of time on heavy rotation and nearly made the final cut. All are well worth a listen if not a purchase.

Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues













Man Man – Life Fantastic













Eleanor Friedberger – Last Summer













Beastie Boys – Hot Sauce Committee Part 2



















Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Unknown Mortal Orchestra













Coming soon, my tenth favorite album of the year. Interestingly, the lead singer and backup vocalist/guitarist of this group will show up again as guests on another top ten album.

No comments:

Post a Comment