Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Week with Pearl Jam



Over the course of my life I have had the pleasure of seeing Pearl Jam nine times, at most once or twice per tour since 1998. This year I had the opportunity to have my ultimate experience in fandom and overindulgence- four shows in five nights.


For those of you who love going to lots of live shows, you've probably encountered a few bands who sound great on records but leave something to be desired by their live performances. Pearl Jam is definitely not one of those bands, as their shows are always intense, rocking, interactive, and performed with a true sincerity of purpose. They are, by far, the best live band I've ever seen, and though their albums are good, their music is best served live. I've never been disappointed, and am confident I never will be. But I digress, onto the concerts...


My mini-tour began at the Sprint Center in the Power and Light district of Kansas City, MO. Prior to the show there were hundreds of concert-goers amassed in the P&L courtyard drinking beer and watching an old PJ show being projected on the courtyard bigscreen television; it was a pre-concert of sorts. After consuming a few pints of Guinness in the early evening sun, I headed into the Sprint Center to catch the end of Band of Horses' (new album out May 18th) opening set. I was 18th row, center stage- not too bad. After a long intermission and plenty of anticipatory banter, the lights lowered and Metamorphosis II by Philip Glass began emanating from the sound system. This song caused the audience to stand up and begin an escalation of cheering (as well as causing the hair on my arms to stand up), as Metamorphosis II signals PJ is on their way to the stage. The band members took their respective places, and then came the first somber notes of "Of the Girl", a slow tune off of their 2000 release, "Binaural". It was the first time I'd heard the song live, and it was a great way to start of the set. Then the wrapping was officially ripped right off this package, as they followed up with the pounding threesome of "Animal", "Worldwide Suicide", and "Got Some". Next was "Unthought Known", my favorite track off of 2009's "Backspacer". This song immediately stood out to me upon my first listen to the album, and it's transitioned into being one of my favorite live songs as well. The band was really getting into it, with Mike McCready running around the stage, the usually-stationary Stone Gossard head-banging to the rhythm, and Eddie's voice sounding as powerful and impassioned as ever. Other Set 1 highlights included "God's Dice", "Present Tense", and a rousing "Do the Evolution" to close the set. The crowd was impressively loud throughout, and the band appeared to be feeding off of their energy as the night went on. Encore 1 included "Off He Goes", "Given to Fly", an extended version of "Porch", complete with strobe lights and a myriad of solos. Encore 2 had Eddie appearing with his signature bottle of wine and a recently acquired Kansas City Royal's jersey. PJ then busted through crowd favorites "Black", "Betterman", and "Alive" before blowing it out with "Rocking in the Free World". Then, before playing "Yellow Ledbetter", Eddie introduced Curt Tomasevicz, a member of the 2010 Olympic gold-medal-winning 4-man boblsed team. Apparently one of Curt's dreams was to jam with PJ at some point in his life, and his wish was granted as Jeff Ament happily handed over his base to Curt for "Ledbetter". McCready sent us home with a Jimmy Hendrix-esque rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner", and an exhausted crowd headed to the exits with smiles all around.


The following night's show was at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO. This arena is home to the St. Louis Blues, and interiorly is a carbon-copy of the Sprint Center. Without a buddy accompanying me to this show, I decided to forego tailgaiting and head in early to see the opening band in it's entirety, and check the view from my seats (19th row, right of center). After catching BOH's inspiring set, I curiously waited to see what PJ had in store for the opener. Looking out over the crowd, Eddie quietly crooned "Large fingers pushing me...you're god and you've got big hands," the first words of "No Code's" "Sometimes". From there PJ segued into my favorite song, the classic-rocking Corduroy. Once again, the crowd was filled with enthusiastic sing-alongs and a penchant for being impressively loud. Other first set highlights included "Why Go", "In Hiding", "Severed Hand", "Glorified G", and the always angry "Not for You". A cool moment for me was hearing "Pilate", a song from their 1998 album "Yield" which had only been played live 17 times over the course of hundreds of shows. Encore 1 began with 2 slower songs, "Inside Job" and "Just Breathe" before furiously accelerating with "Jeremy", "Got Some", and ending with an extended "Rearviewmirror". Encore 2 eased in with "Garden", before rocking the arena with "Alive" and "Baba O'Riley". As Mike McCready painted yet another solo masterpiece at the end of "Yellow Ledbetter", a sweaty, tired, content Vedder sat at the center of the stage smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer, and smiling contentedly at the crowd, reflecting on yet another wonderful night of rock and roll.


After a one-day stopover in Chicago, my friend and I headed to Columbus, OH, for night 3 of the mini-tour. That evening's show was at yet another hockey venue, Nationwide Arena. Pearl Jam's Ten Club hooked us up with a wonderful hotel room at the Hyatt Regency at a heavily-discounted rate, and it was located only 2 blocks from Nationwide. We decided to pick up our tickets before our pre-show dinner, hoping that tonight would be the night we finally won the lottery. A childish grin slipped across my face when the teller handed me my tickets with the lovely letter "B" printed on them. "Does that mean 2nd row?" I inquired. "Yes hon, it does," said the teller, "Enjoy yourselves tonight." My night was immediately made, as I hadn't had such choice seats since the last general admission PJ show I attended way back in 1998 in Rapid City, SD. After multiple celebratory beers, my friend and I realized we'd missed BOH, and we excitedly headed into Nationwide. Our seats were just right of center stage- absolutely amazing! Pearl Jam came on stage, close enough to shake hands with, and started the show with "Oceans", a track from their debut album "Ten" which I hadn't heard in any of my previous 11 shows. The rest of the show went by in what seemed like 15 minutes (actual time 2 1/2 hours), as I was having the time of my life singing along, jumping, dancing, and taking it all in. Song highlights included "Alone", "Comatose", "State of Love and Trust", "Spin the Black Circle", "Go", "Once", "Hail, Hail", and "Crazy Mary", a Victoria Williams cover showcasing PJ's keyboard player, Boom Gasper (if you haven't heard a live version of this song with Boom, you're missing out). They closed the 2nd encore with "Alive" and "Yellow Ledbetter", and Eddie thanked the raucous crowd for yet another great night.


The next night, my final show of the tour, was in Noblesville, IN at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. Outdoor shows are always more enjoyable for me, especially with three friends in tow, a cooler full of beer, and a couple of hours to prime for the show. As we were opening our first bottles, we were approached by Band of Horses' photographer who had coincidentally parked beside us. He was full of tour stories, and shared with us some enviable photographs from previous shows. Then the sky turned an ominous grey, and the unwelcome lightning, thunder, and rain forced us back into our car. The photographer texted us from inside the gates that the show may not happen. Luckily, after 30 pensive minutes, the venue gates opened and we made our way to our 36th row seats (no bitching from me after my luck in Ohio). This show opened with "Release", an undulating, morose tune about Eddie's father that has become one of my favorite openers. Then, once again, Vedder gnashed his teeth and busted into heavy-hitters "Last Exit", "Got Some", and "Why Go". "In My Tree" was a nice touch, as Matt Cameron now plays that song's percussion in the same manner as his gifted predecessor, Jack Irons. Other notable Set 1 songs included "Supersonic", "Goin' Back to Indiana" (Jackson 5 cover), "Daughter" with the "W.M.A. tag", and "Rats" from "Vs.". The 1st encore included "Off He Goes", the punk screamer "Lukin", and ended with "Do the Evolution". The 2nd encore songs included an inspired version of "Garden", followed by "Whipping", "Alive", "Baba O'Riley", and "Yellow Ledbetter". 22,000 plus fans headed out into the chilly May air thankful for the weather's mercy and yet another great Pearl Jam show.


On my return flight I reflected on what a crazy week it had been. After four concerts, 112 songs, and 10 hours of unrelenting Classic Rock, I was thoroughly exhausted. Though sad to be done with my Pearl Jam tour (especially with Matt Cameron's inevitable departure to re-join Soundgarden this summer and the uncertainty thereafter), I knew it was time to go home. I also realized, after screaming my lungs out to four shows in five days, "Do the Evolution" in Nobelsville had finally provided the death knell to my tortured voice, and further singing would have to wait. I can only hope they'll head out to the Midwest once again next year so I can repeat this experience. Either way, it was a memorable trip, and I'm once again reminded of one inarguable truth: there are precious few things I enjoy in this life as much as being at a Pearl Jam show.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome JP, I'm envious. Hopefully they and you will simultaneously return to the great Northwest sometime. Your vibe at the show was infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an unbelievable experience, I wish I could have experienced it with you. Great recap. Are you passionate about PJ? I have seen David Gilmour live, therefore my live concert experience is almost complete (this summer I will travel to Chicago to see Iron Maiden!) I hope my encounter is as memorable as the one you have shared.

    ReplyDelete