Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Artist of the Decade

It won't be hard to predict who my choice for this prestigious title will be. I decided to lay this out there before I unveil my top of the decade because his releases alone could fill out most of my top 10. That doesn't make for a very interesting list. I have loved the White Stripes since the first time I heard them (while this tribute is specifically dedicated to Jack, want to assure everyone that I appreciate what Meg has given us too). So, I've decided to list the top 10 reasons why Jack White is my artist of the decade for the 2000s. I've been reading a lot of blogs saying Kanye deserves the title for "transforming" the world of hip hop or that Animal Collective earned it for reasons I can not comprehend or that it should be George Strait (if you're into that kind of thing). For me there's no close second place (although second place would probably be Danger Mouse). The reason Jack runs away with it for me is because he came with quantity and quality. I challenge anyone to come up with one other artist who was as productive during the 00s as he was. Let's take a look:

2000: Second White Stripes album De Stijl is released.
2001: He follows that up the very next year with their breakthrough, White Blood Cells.
2002: What? No album released? What a slacker.
2003: White Stripes' Elephant is released, probably their most acclaimed album to date. Not one to sit on his hands, Jack also contributes 5 songs to the Cold Mountain Soundtrack and even plays a minor role in the film
2004: Van Lear Rose is released. Jack produced it and performed on it. It was Loretta Lynn's rebirth album, in the way American Recordings was for Johnny Cash. If you've never heard it, do yourself a favor.
2005: The White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan is released.
2006: The first of Jack's side projects is formed and The Raconteurs' Broken Boy Soldiers is released.
2007: White Stripes are back AGAIN with Icky Thump.
2008: The Raconteurs' Consolers of the Lonely is released. Do yourself another favor.
2009: Jack's second side project, The Dead Weather, releases their debut, Horehound. Jack releases Fly Farm Blues, his first track under his own name since the Cold Mountain Soundtrack, for It Might Get Loud, the documentary about him, the Edge and Jimmy Page.

No one can deny the man is prolific. The amazing thing is, however, that all of these (with the possible exception of Broken Boy Soldiers) are simply outstanding albums.

Bless you Jack. Here's hoping we get more of the same in the teens.

2 comments:

  1. I am interested to see which White Stripes album you have selected for the best album of the decade. White Blood Cells is my personal favorite WS album. I also love the cover Joss Stone did of "Fell In Love With A Boy".

    http://www.ez-tracks.com/getsong-songid-25198.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for recognizing the awesomeness that is Jack White!

    Jack White is well deserved of the title and yes, Meg, (although painful to watch) is entitled to her props. White is not only prolific, but revolutionary in inventing and reinventing how sound is processed as music. He distorts the concepts of that which is tangible, raw and real, while simultaneously maintaining a quality untouchable brilliance and clarity.

    I am counting down the DVD release date for "It Might Get Loud" (Dec. 22nd) and can't wait to get my hands on the "Under Great White Northern Lights" EPIC box set(March 16th,'10), which supposedly includes:

    A DVD of the film itself, a DVD of White Stripes 10th anniversary show -"The White Stripes Under Nova Scotian Lights", a 16-track White Stripes live album recorded during the Canadian tour on both vinyl and CD, a live 7" (featuring "Icky Thump" and "The Wheels on the Bus"), a 208-page book with photos, AND a silk screen print...I think I just wet myself...

    Jack says he doesn't trust anyone that doesn't like Led Zeppelin...I don't trust anyone that doesn't like (or at the very least can't appreciate) Jack White.

    ReplyDelete